CHARTER CHAMBERS IS A ‘LEADING SET’ IN FRAUD WORK. WE ARE SPECIALISTS IN BUSINESS & REGULATORY CRIME AND HAVE BEEN INVOLVED IN SOME OF THE MOST COMPLEX AND SENSITIVE CASES OF RECENT YEARS.
Charter Chambers success in this area of work is demonstrated by our track record. We have been instructed in some of the highest profile serious fraud cases and investigations in the last 20 years. We are renown for giving our clients clear practical and sound legal advice. We provide you and your clients with strong representation from the start of an investigation. We develop with our clients a strategy that frequently shapes the eventual successful outcome of their case.
National and international firms regularly use our services. We accept direct instructions from the general public and corporate clients. We are attuned to electronic management & presentation of evidence, disclosure & e-disclosure. Charter Chambers’ work in these areas brings with it significant experience in advising clients on ancillary restraint and confiscation orders. We advise on the legality of search warrants, Legal Professional Privilege/LPP and the seizure of privileged material, and requirements to produce material. We assist clients in criminal and civil litigation (including civil fraud) where the effect of restraint is often the very first real impact felt by a client after the commencement of an investigation.
We assist companies, public bodies and individuals in meeting the challenges presented by anti-bribery and anti-corruption legislation and regulation. We can assess the risk that our clients may experience in domestic and international markets, and develop strategies to deal with those risks. We advise clients on specific measures to ensure compliance with the law, including having Bribery Act ‘adequate procedures’ in place.
We lead internal inquiries for companies and provide representation and advice in cases which require self-referral to the regulators and in related proceedings before the Courts both in the UK and internationally. We have unrivalled experience of dealing with DPA’s, specifically where they concern Directors who maybe affected by these agreements.
In non-contentious areas we provide advice to clients, assisting and enabling them to do business with confidence in the UK and internationally, ensuring that they minimise the risk of inadvertent criminal infractions. We can train individuals from board downwards when required.
Experts in Fraud, Bribery & Business Crime
- Money laundering
- Business crime
- Regulatory crime
- Deferred Prosecution Agreements (DPA)
- Insider dealing
- Unexplained Wealth Orders
- Restraint & Confiscation
“A go-to set for those in an emergency or in need of barristers who can handle complex matters”
– Legal 500
Members of Charter Chambers have appeared in many serious and high profile cases including;
- Libor rate rigging case – Tom Hayes, the first and most important Libor prosecution case in the world
- Blakey & Others (HMRC fraud). The largest HMRC Green LLP fraud prosecuted in 2018/9.
- ‘Lord Davenport’ Advance Fee Fraud (SFO)
- Imperial Consolidated (SFO)
- The Landfill Tax Fraud (SFO)
- The Ikea Fraud and corruption case (SFO)
- The BCCI Banking Collapse (SFO)
- Dunblane Firearm Amnesty Fraud (CPS Serious Casework)
- Chesterfield FC Collapse (SFO)
- ILA learning Frauds (CPS Serious Casework)
- Mortgage Frauds arising from the collapse of a solicitors firm (SFO)
- The Rotherham Council Fraud (CPS Serious Casework)
- Northern Advance Fee Fraud laundering Proceedings through Northern Cyprus (SFO)
- Alleged Money Bureau laundering (£220 million, HMRC)
Bribery & Corruption
- Sarclad Ltd (DPA case, known as XYZ), where chambers appeared in the SFO’s prosecution of the Directors. They were acquitted.
- Guralp Systems Ltd (GSL DPA case), where chambers appeared in the SFO’s prosecution of the Directors. They were acquitted.
- Alstom Ltd, the SFO prosecution of a former Swedish Director
- EBRD corruption and bribery case
- Rolls Royce investigation
- SFO investigation into former FTSE 100 natural resources company
- SFO prosecuted alleged corruption and bribery prosecution against two former Directors
- Corruption of London Underground Staff
- Alleged Corruption of MOD Staff for contracts
- Advising an overseas Agent on corruption allegations in a large petro chemical company
- Advice to a City Insurance company on specific bribery compliance
- Pharmaceutical corruption arising from manufacturing agreements
- Corruption concerning the construction of Devonport Nuclear Submarine Base
- George & Others (The BA/ Virgin Price Fixing case.)
- Kent Pharmaceuticals (SFO largest prosecution ever. Allegation of cartel activity)
- Presently advising on a criminal investigation into a suspected cartel.
Insider Dealing / Boiler Rooms
- Operation Tabernula (the largest FCA Insider Dealing prosecution to date)
- The “City Slickers” (Daily Mirror Insider Dealing)
- Mustafa (Operation Saturn. Then the FSA’s largest Insider Dealing prosecution)
- Wilmot & McInerney, (FSA ‘boiler room’ and money laundering prosecutions (see also confiscation restraint))
- Yazdanian (FSA boiler room)
Revenue Frauds & MTIC (Missing Trader Intra Community Frauds)
- Operation Ghast (HMRC – loss £15m)
- Operation Vaulter (HMRC – loss £20 million)
- Operation Shepard (HMRC – loss £7 million)
- Operation Dowell (HMRC – loss £15 million)
- Operation Elemi (R v Bedesha 1)
- Operation Hayrick (R v Bedesha 2 HMRC loss £26 million)
- Alleged Pensions fraud (HMRC – loss £20m)