Year of Call: 2000 Inn of Court: Middle Temple
Leila has been named Junior of the Year (Crime) for 2020 by the Legal 500.
‘A charming practitioner unafraid to stand up for what is right.’ – Legal 500 2020 – Crime and Financial Crime – Leading Juniors. ‘An extremely articulate and elegant advocate.’ – Legal 500 2020 – Crime and Financial Crime – Leading Junior. ‘A charming, hard-working and very capable advocate.’ – Legal 500 2019– Crime and Financial Crime – Leading Junior. Recommended – Legal 500 2019 – Crime and Financial Crime –– Leading Junior. ‘A popular choice.’ – Legal 500 2018 Crime and Financial Crime – Leading Junior. ‘She has an impressive court presence and strong advocacy abilities.’ – Legal 500 2017 Crime and Financial Crime – Leading Junior. Recognised by the Legal 500 as a leading junior in both crime and financial crime. Leila is well known for her ability as an advocate in both fields. Her main areas of practice include:
- Murder/ manslaughter
- Drug importation/ conspiracies
- Computer crime (incl. the dark web)
- Tax evasion/ cheating the public revenue
- Money laundering
Recent Criminal Cases
- R v. Watkins [2019 Central Criminal Court]: murder
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-48215394 https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/stabbing-death-peckham-south-london-75-year-old-woman-suspect-a8639496.html https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6402685/Son-55-charged-murdering-75-year-old-mother-south-London-home.html
- R v. Fergus [2018 Wood Green Crown Court]: murder
- R v. Chudasama [2018 Central Criminal Court]: death by dangerous driving.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/yellow-vest-protesters-hayes-crash-boys-killed-court-hearing-drink-drive-jaynesh-chudasama-a8694501.html https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-43574133 https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/mar/28/drunk-driver-jaynesh-chudasama-is-jailed-for-13-years-for-killing-three-teens
- R v. Miguel St Martin [2019 Blackfriars Crown Court]: aggravated burglary.
https://metro.co.uk/2019/03/07/ringleader-armed-moped-gang-raided-ysl-jailed-12-years-8851831/ https://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/seven-vicious-london-moped-bandits-jailed-for-combined-45-years-a4087031.html https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6782765/Ringleader-Easy-Cash-Gang-jailed-12-years-masterminding-terrifying-heists.html
Recent Fraud Cases
- R v. Klusmann [2019 Blackfriars Crown Court]: fraud
- R v. Mir & Others [2019 Inner London Crown Court]: Fraud and money laundering.
https://www.mirror.co.uk/money/ghost-brokers-scare-cash-out-12617690 http://news.cityoflondon.police.uk/r/1038/pair_of_ghost_brokers_who_supplied_fake_car_insur https://www.insurancetimes.co.uk/ghost-brokers-sentenced-after-using-launderette-as-a-cover-up/1427250.article
- LL.B (Hons), Durham University
- Member of the Management Board at Charter Chambers
- Criminal Bar Association
- South Eastern Circuit
- Public Access Bar Association