Year of Call: 1972
Inn of Court: Gray’s Inn
Henry Grunwald OBE QC
‘A calm and reassuring advocate who commands the respect of the court’ – Crime – Leading Silks (Legal 500 – 2018)
‘A veteran of serious cases’ – Crime – Leading Silks (Legal 500 – 2017)
He is a Queen’s Counsel and dedicated advocate with forty solid years of experience in high-level criminal work. He has become rightly renowned for his unflappable nature in court. Extremely hard-working and dedicated to doing his best for his clients, and always well-prepared, his many years in practice have seen him defend in very high-profile cases right across the spectrum of offences – from serious frauds to serial killing.
Although London-based, he has appeared in important cases all over the country, most recently in Bristol (murder), Chester (serious fraud) and Sheffield (murder). Described by those who work with him as hard-working and extremely reliable, he has a flair for accurate and meaningful presentations both in court and in conference. Anyone instructing him can have real confidence in their choice.
- R v. Chattoo  – EWCA Crim 190
- R v. Doyle and Wise  – EWCA Crim 995
- R v. Roper  – EWCA Crim 2858
- R v. Ansell,  – EWCA Crim 2831
- R v. O’Flaherty  – 2 Cr App R 20
- R v. T (Michael John)  – Crim L R 832
- R v. Adams  – Crim L R 292
- R v. Kelt, 65 Cr App R 74
- R v. Landy, 72 Cr App R 237
- QC (1999)
- LL.B (Hons), University College London
- Bencher, Gray’s Inn
- Fellow, University College London
- President, World Jewish Relief
- Chairman, The Holocaust Centre
- Vice-President, Council of Christians and Jews
- South Eastern Circuit
- CyberCrime Practitioners Association
Areas of Specialism
He has defended in many high profile criminal cases at the Old Bailey and nationally, including:
- The ‘witchcraft’ murder (R v Bikubi) of a young boy and the assault and torture of his siblings.
- The honour killing of his daughter by a member of the Kurdish community.
- One of the largest ever drug importations leading to one of the longest ever trials.
Fraud & Commercial Crime
He is regularly instructed for large-scale fraud trails, most recently he achieved an outstanding result for his client in a serious fraud case in Chester.
In July 2018 Henry Grunwald QC presented a lecture, hosted by Kingsley Napley Solicitors, on the subject of Market Manipulation: the risks arising from rumours, soundings and information.
The notes from the lecture can be found by clicking the link below.