Year of Call: 1999
Inn of Court: Lincoln’s Inn
Alexander dos Santos
‘He appears on both sides of medical regulation cases’ – Professional Discipline and Regulatory Law – Leading Juniors (Legal 500 – 2017)
An experienced specialist, he practises in fraud (civil and criminal), public law, extradition, sports law, and commercial law matters. He acts for a range of clients, domestic and international, including Governments, individuals, companies, partnerships, banks, regulatory and other public bodies. He has advised an off-shore financial regulatory body on public law matters connected with their powers of investigation and regulation.
His tactical acuity, technical knowledge of the law and high proficiency as an advocate in both witness handling and submissions have seen him recognised as a leading junior by his industry (in both Chambers & Partners Directory and the Legal 500) and mainstream press.
Alexander Dos Santos is ranked in Chambers and Partners 2018.
- Ladislav Danco v. Czech Republic  EWHC 1300 (Admin)
- Krzystof Kowalski v. Poland  EWHC 1044 (Admin)
- Besaran Hussain Zada v. Italy  EWHC 513 (Admin) – Divisional Court – Double Jeopardy
- General Dental Council v. Harper  EWHC 856 (Admin) – Admin Court extension of interim order
- Clarke v. General Optical Council  EWHC 521 (Admin) – Impairment, voluntary erasure, proportionality
- Pemberton Greenish v. Jane Henry  EWHC 246 (QB) – Acted for insurer in subrogated claim for breach of contract and fiduciary duty
- Stevenson v. General Optical Council  EWHC 3099 (Admin) – Time limits on appeal
- R. (on the Application of the English Bridge Union) v. Sport England & Ors  EWHC 2875 (Admin) – sports – interpretation of Royal Charter and Statute
- R. (on the Application of Keith Bentley & Ors) v. Governor of HMP Whatton & SSJ  EWHC 3586 (Admin);  EWHC 4338 (Admin);  EWHC 3451 (Admin) – Prison Law – breach of public law duty – Article 5 – failure to provide risk reduction course
- R. (on the Application of Condor) v. DPP & Cullen 
- Czucz v. Slovakia 
- General Pharmaceutical Council v. M – Allegation of plagiarism
- Westminster City Council v. Somerfields  – Prosecuting food safety breaches
- Westminster City Council v. Thorntons  – Food safety prosecution – acted for Defendant company – successfully argued prosecution out of time. Case withdrawn
- H&C v. CM  – Breach of contract and negligence dispute arising from the design and supply of plant and specialist equipment to a facility in the Middle East
- The Football Association Premier League Limited v. R Ltd & DP & Barclays Bank PLC  – Defended a claim for Copyright infringement
- Parasram v. General Optical Council  – Acted for allegations of dishonesty
- Samar Rukh v. Royal College of Psychiatrists  – Acted for regulator resisting judicial review – appeal from pre-action disclosure refusal
- Michaela Joy Hall (Liquidator of Inn Take (UK) Limited – In Liquidation) v. Lyall, Southall, County West Commercial Services Limited, County West Investments Limited – Acting for 3rd & 4th Respondents – application to set aside judgment in a claim for transactions at an undervalue and complicity in a fraudulent anti-creditor scheme
- HMRC v. Reteesh Pillai – Defending a £10m MARD tax recovery claim brought by HMRC on behalf of the Italian Authorities
- Surrey County Council v. Wootton & Others – Defended at the High Court for contempt of Court proceedings
- Piyush Mehta v. State Bank of India – Acted at the County Court for the Bank defending claim for vicarious liability for unauthorised transactions by employee from claimant’s account pursuant to a private arrangements between the parties and failure to act on instructions
- Kamal Hussain v. Ahfaz Miah – Acted at the High Court for Claimant in claim for fraudulent misrepresentation, breach of fiduciary duty and breach of constructive trust
- LL.B (Hons)
- European Diploma in Business and Management
- Advanced Diploma in French Language
- Hardwicke Scholarship, Lincoln’s Inn
- Approved pupil-supervisor and advocacy trainer for Lincoln’s Inn
- Head of Pupillage at Charter Chambers
- Advocacy trainer for Lincoln’s Inn
- Member of the League Managers Association Legal Panel
- Legal advisor to a League One football team
- Association of Regulatory & Disciplinary Lawyers
- Administrative Law Bar Association
- Extradition Lawyers’ Association
- London Common Law and Commercial Bar Association
- Criminal Bar Association
- Associate Member of the Association of Fraud Examiners
- Lex Anglo-Brazil
- Brazilian Chamber of Commerce
- South Eastern Circuit
Areas of Specialism
Extradition & Regulatory Crime
He is a specialist panel member for the Crown Prosecution Service. He has significant experience before the Administrative Court and at first instance hearings.
He has acted for companies and individuals in food safety, health and safety, environmental and planning law prosecutions. He has conducted a large number of local authority regulatory prosecutions including under the Licensing Act 2003, Food Hygiene (England) Regs 2006, Environmental Protection Act 1980 and Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008.
He acts on both sides and in cases under both Part 1 and Part 2 of the Extradition Act 2003.
He has extensive experience dealing with both civil and criminal fraud and has acted in complex fraud, money laundering and corruption cases. He has conducted lengthy and high value trials both as led junior and as a junior alone.
His experience spans both civil and criminal fraud. He advises companies on issues of compliance with anti-corruption, money laundering and health and safety regulations. He also has experience of assisting companies with anti-bribery and corruption policies and measures and provides pre-litigation and strategic advice to those caught up in regulatory and criminal investigations.
Civil fraud experience includes interim relief applications and substantive claims, in the person, corporate and insolvency contexts.
He acts frequently in professional discipline matters, for and against regulators, and has acted in fitness to practise proceedings, health committee hearings, High Court appeals and judicial reviews in matters relating to the General Optical Council, General Dental Council, General Pharmaceutical Council, Nursing and Midwifery Council, General Medical Council, Care Council for Wales, Appeal Committee of the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants and the Royal College of Psychiatrists. He also has experience acting before sporting Tribunals.
In matters of professional negligence, Alexander is able to settle pleadings, advise on merits and either claim against or represent professionals at hearings in the County/High Court.
He has significant experience acting by himself and been led by leading Counsel in judicial review and in inquests (including Article 2 and jury inquests). He is experienced in different contexts, from prison law to sports law, planning and criminal matters.
He advises and acts in contractual and other financial disputes, often able to guide clients to a practical non-litigious solution to problems and disputes. He is keenly interested in corporate governance and in civil fraud. He is able to assist clients in obtaining or resisting freezing orders in the High Court. He also has transactional and litigation experience arising from the sports context.
Insolvency experience includes personal and company insolvency proceedings, director disqualification and applications for winding up petitions in the public interest.
- Commentator on legal matters – Sky News (2017)
- Introduction to Extradition Law ; High Court Appeals & Judicial Review (2017)
- Professional Discipline lectures on reflection guidance, case-law update and High Court appeals (2016)
- Introduction to Insolvency law – delivered at Corpus Christi College, Oxford to visiting Brazilian judges and lawyers as part of a ‘Law in Britain’ event. Lecture comprised of an overview of the insolvency law in England and Wales with a particular focus on Public Interest Winding Up proceedings and asset tracing (2015)
- Somaliland Justice Sector Support Project – delivering Judge Craft Training in Hargeisa, Somaliland through the Horizon Institute and in conjunction with the Somaliland High Judicial Council. Funded though the UK Department For International Development (2015)
- Anti-Corruption and Fraud Legislation under English Law: Recent Developments (2013)
He is on the Attorney General’s List C of Specialist Regulatory Advocates in Health and Safety, Environmental Law and Office for Rail Regulation matters
He is on the approved list of the General Dental Council Appointed to specialist CPS panels for Proceeds of Crime and Serious and Organised Crime
Through Horizon, he has provided training to new judges in Somaliland and has been involved in their High Judicial Council’s project for the creation of a Legal Resources and Training Centre.
In July 2008 he was an invited panellist at the international conference – “Extraditing Genocide Suspects from Europe to Rwanda – Issues and Challenges”, hosted by REDRESS at the Belgian Parliament. He addressed the conference on the topic of “Human Rights and Fair Trial Conditions for Extradition”. The conference was attended by Interpol officers, lawyers, judges, academics and international observers.