Professional Discipline hearings and investigations have become increasingly complex and varied in recent years. Charter is ideally placed to provide experienced advice and representation in these areas, applying professional skills honed by prosecuting and defending in criminal and public law cases.
Charter has a balanced regulatory practice. We have extensive links with a number of prosecuting agencies, and members are frequently seconded to them. We also work with organisations advising professionals in order to assist in their representation.
Among the organisations that our members regularly receive instructions to act on behalf of or against are:
- Nursing and Midwifery Council
- Royal College of Nursing
- General Medical Council
- General Dental Council
- General Optical Council
- British Medical Association
- Civil Aviation Authority
- Bar Standards Board
- Solicitors Regulation Authority
- City Of Westminster Council
- Essex County Council
- Health and Safety Executive
- Rugby Football Union
Charter has become the Chambers of choice for both the presentation and the defence of those facing fitness to practise allegations before the Nursing and Midwifery Council.
Two members of chambers are on the Attorney General’s Regulatory Panel.
Members regularly appear at Police Disciplinary Tribunals and Courts Martial. We are available to advise both before interview and during an investigation, and have acted for those on operational tours.
A member of Charter sits as a Chairman of the Police Appeals Tribunal.
Sport is frequently the subject of high profile litigation impacting on individuals or teams. Charter has represented a number of individuals in sports disputes, from players in disciplinary tribunals to advising on contractual matters and disputes arising out of competition rules. Acting in this area of law poses specific challenges whereby an understanding of the nature of competitive sport is a distinct asset. We benefit from having members with just such an understanding from their personal experiences and achievements.
Notable recent instructions in the regulatory, sports and disciplinary fields have included –
- Appearing for the Nursing and Midwifery Council and the Royal College of Nursing in the key fitness to practice hearings arising out of the Francis Inquiry into the Mid-Stafordshire NHS Trust.
- Instructed to present on behalf of the Nursing and Midwifery Council on the three cases arising from Operation Jasmine investigation into care homes in Wales.
- Representing a construction company following its prosecution by a London Council.
- Representing a Solicitor, in parallel proceedings, before the Solicitor’s Disciplinary Tribunal in respect of dishonesty matters for which he received a custodial sentence.
- Prosecuting a helicopter instructor following the death of an ex-pupil.